In 1851 William George opened a saddlery business in a small shop, since demolished, on the site of number 18 Fore Street, Liskeard. In 1882 number 8 Fore Street was acquired to expand the business into Ironmongery and Hardware. Following his death in 1905 his only son, also named William, carried on with the business.
The business then expanded into Furniture and China through the acquisition of the old candle factory in Well Lane. The majority of this furniture was made on site by qualified cabinet makers and used to be delivered by horse and cart.
With the marriage of Frederick Solomon and Winifred George in the late 1920’s the name of the company was then changed from W George to F C & W M Solomon.
Their son Ronald Eric joined the business in 1952 after completing his National Service in the Royal Air Force. Due to further expansion of the company in the 1950’s numbers 12 and 14 Fore Street were purchased to facilitate the introduction of broad loom carpets and the ever increasing demand for fitted carpets.
In 1958 the company changed its name from F C & W M Solomon to its current trading name of Solomon (Liskeard) Ltd. In the early 1970’s, to expand the company further, a major redevelopment was undertaken on numbers 12, 14 and 16 Fore Street to create one large in-town retail shop. During 1998, due to the ever increasing demand for ‘out of town’ retail shopping, it was decided, by the company, to purchase and redevelop a unit on the Moorswater Industrial Estate into what is now nearly a 30,000 sq ft outlet with retail and storage facilities.
This was opened in September 2001 and is run by Ronald Solomon’s son, Andrew and enables Solomons to provide quality Furniture, Carpets, Curtains, Accessories and Lighting to the whole of Cornwall and Devon.